Things Non-horsey People Have Said to Me
I don't claim to know anything about football (American Football to my British readers) and have been known to ask questions when watching a game. It doesn't happen often as I would rather watch paint dry but that's another story altogether. One thing I would never do is comment or give my opinion or try to look like an expert on the subject but I'm sure I've asked a dumb question every now and then.
Here are some things non-horsey people have said to me over the years. I know this will resonate with my horsey friends.
- What do you do for exercise? - Because the horse does all the work you know and mucking stalls takes no effort at all.
- There's a dead horse in your field. - Yup, they lie down sometimes.
- Doesn't it hurt when he nails the shoe to his foot?
- You still take lessons? I thought you knew how to ride.
- I used to ride as a child so I won't need many lessons.
- Ewww he just pooped!
- Doesn't it hurt them when you kick them with your legs?
- What am I supposed to hold onto? - When I take away the reins for a lunge lesson.
- Why is there white stuff coming out of his mouth?
- Wow, that's expensive. - When I tell a non-horsey person how much I charge for board but don't explain all the other expenses like insurance, feed, hay, shavings, electricity, repairs, labor, and so on and so on…
- Have you ever fallen off?
- Do you have to feed them on Christmas Day also?
- I don't mind getting up early, I'm usually awake by 9 a.m.
- Do you rent out your horses?
- I used to have a dog when I was a kid so I know how to look after a horse. - Yes, I did actually have someone say that to me.
- What are you feeding him, I thought they just ate apples and sugar cubes?
- How does the horse get out of the stall to use the bathroom?
- What's that mark on his leg is he injured? - The chestnut. I can't count how many times I've been asked this.
- Have you ever eaten horse meat?
- Why do you need a saddle?
- I once rode a cowboy horse. - I think they meant western horse.
- How long does it take a pony to grow into a horse?
- Aww, that's a cute foal. - Referring to a mini.
- Just pull on the reins. - Advice from a parent to a child who was learning to ride a 20-meter circle.
- Why are those horses wearing blindfolds in the field?
- You can't include horse riding as exercise. - This wasn't said to me but to the parent of one of my riders by the P.E. coach at her daughter's school. I told her to tell him to come and take a lesson so he could see how wrong he was. A P.E. coach of all people???
This blog isn't intended to offend non-horsey people. It's just light-hearted observations shared with other horsey friends. Feel free to add any comments and questions you have encountered over the years.
Follow our every move and keep up-to-date with tips, advice, and events, etc.